Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Keeping Fit: Duggar Style

Remember when Jim Bob tagged along with Michelle to a Weight Watchers meeting back in 2009? After starting the program, he lost about twelve pounds, but after Josie was born, it became too difficult to keep up with his diet.
"We started eating all that hospital food, and we were concerned about Josie," Jim Bob told us during our February interview." About the only exercise we were getting was walking from the cafeteria to Josie’s room. And I gained that weight back."

But after Josie's health improved, Jim Bob jumped back on the horse and has since lost more weight. He and Michelle are accountability partners. "We’re too easy on each other," said Michelle. 

To stay fit, Jim Bob bought Michelle an elliptical for her birthday, which both parents use regularly. Jim Bob says that his wife, who has worked her way up to one-hour intervals, five to six days a week, is better at it than he is. While she works out, Michelle listens to teaching tapes and invites a few of the younger kids to join her. “I call them my little exercise buddies," said the mom of nineteen during our interview. "They use my little arm weights and get to help Mommy with different things, so we all have fun doing it."  

What do you do for physical fitness?

12 comments:

  1. My husband and I also use our elliptical. I hope Michelle puts on proper attire and doesn't try to get a good workout in a long skirt! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elliptical is a great, low impact workout. We use our elliptical out in the garage as often as we can. Great reminder to stay fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every morning I do twenty crunches, twenty bicep curls, and twenty-five push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  4. My university has an excellent gym pass deal for students, and the gym is the next building over from my faculty, so I generally head to the gym every school day, about 75 or 90 minutes. Usually do just about everything, bike (which is great because I can still study then), eliptical (one of my favourites), tredmill (can also study!) rowing and weights (helps my stamina for playing the flute and piano), and then some pushups and strength training as well. Sometimes I run on the track as well, kind of prefer it to the tredmill. Haven't checked out the pool yet (have to check the schedule) but it's all included. I do have a tredmill at home, but prefer the gym, not sure why. Looking forward to the rest of the snow and ice melting so I can bike outside again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preaching tapes?? Good heavens, are cassette players still available somewhere? LOL!
    I like to workout w/ my older son, since he loves anything that builds his muscles, but one day he said he didn't want to anymore. It took a lot to get him to tell me why. He finally said: I don't need to lose weight.

    I was crushed. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. what kind of elliptical did you get,

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of Elliptical machine did Jim Bob buy Michelle? I've have seen it by their back door in some episodes and was interested in what she uses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kd from WI!

    We do not know what specific type of elliptical that Michelle uses, but she works out for one hour, 5-6 days a week (especially now that she is expecting).

    Thanks for reading!
    Lily and Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Lisa- Really! if you can't post something nice then why bother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually seen videos of Michelle working out in a long skirt

    ReplyDelete
  11. one hour of elliptical while, pregnant?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! We answer as many of your questions as we can, but due to the number of comments we receive daily, we are unable to answer every one. Our aim is to post all points of view, but we do not post anything that is profane, insulting, derogatory, or in poor taste.