Search this Blog

Search Results

Friday, June 21, 2013

Guest Bloggers Jana and Jill Duggar


Jill, Michelle, Jana & Marcus 2013
In her most recent post to the TLC Parentables page, Michelle Duggar steps back and allows her eldest daughters, Jana and Jill, to fill in as guest bloggers.

Jill
Hey, Jill here!  These days, I’m staying busy, buried in the books and delivering babies, amidst the exciting Duggar life. For those of you who were wondering about how I started delivering babies, I’ll tell you the story.

Jill as a child
Back a few years ago, I had the opportunity to attend 12 weeks of childbirth classes with my 14-year-old friend, who was a single mom. Through these classes, I learned how to coach her during the birth of her child. Although I had attended two of my siblings’ births, being able to work as an active part of my friend’s birth made me interested in learning more. I became friends with a doula/labor coach who worked in the area, and started going to home and hospital births with her. Soon, I became her assistant, and through that, I came into contact with other local midwives. Over the course of the next several years, these midwives would call on me periodically for help at home births.
Jill in Central America 2013

I had been considering attending nursing school for a while, but the timing of it all wasn’t working out, and I spent a lot of time in prayer, trying to figure out where God was leading me. Eventually, through my work with the local midwives, the door opened for me to enter into a distance-learning midwifery training program in Texas. This program, after about 3 ½ years of schooling, would give me the education I need to become a licensed, Certified Professional Midwife (CPM). My parents and I prayed and talked about this opportunity, and in May of 2012, I started midwifery school. Currently, my life consists of studying like crazy to keep up with my schooling through this distance-learning program, and at the same time, working as the senior apprentice under a local, nationally certified licensed midwife to deliver babies in an out-of-hospital setting.
Marcus and his birthing team 2013

Midwifery care allows for a mother to have more specific, personalized care, and to choose the options that are best for the particular needs of her pregnancy and family. After all, mother knows best, and midwifery care allows moms to make their own choices. Midwives provide routine prenatal care throughout pregnancy, with an emphasis on flexibility and individualization, as well as labor, delivery, and postpartum care. Through spending all that time together, a relationship is formed, and there is mutual trust and respect between midwife and mom.

Jana, Jill & Johannah 2006
Since I’ve started down this path to become a midwife, I’ve had the privilege of attending the births of over 60 babies! Each birth is incredibly unique and special, and I learn something new at every one of them. Not everything is peaches and cream, and some days are hard, but I have been blessed to work with a great group of ladies. (Jana included! But more on that later.) The main goal of our practice as home birth midwives is to make sure that both momma and baby are healthy. Sometimes that happens in the home, and sometimes it happens at the hospital, but wherever we are, we pray for the best possible outcome for the people we serve. There are many joys of being a student midwife; for example, seeing previous clients return for subsequent pregnancies, laboring with a young, single mom who was giving her baby up for adoption, helping my sister-in-law bring my niece and nephews into the world, or just simply holding a newborn baby! I really love what I am doing, and am thankful for all these amazing opportunities! 

Jana
Jana in Central America 2013
Hi everyone, it’s Jana! I wanted to take a minute to let you all know what has been going on in my life recently. I’ve been spending a lot of time working under a local midwife, as a part of the same birth team that Jill is on. I am really enjoying learning about natural birth, and working as a midwife assistant and doula. Even though this may not be something that I do for the rest of my life, I feel so blessed to be able to learn and grow in this area, and I plan on using the skills that I’ve developed through these experiences to help my family and friends now and in the future.
Jana as a teenager
Jill and I feel like the training we are receiving, although our paths are both a little bit different, will serve us in the future on the mission field. Each of us would like to use our skills as a way to share the hope of Jesus in foreign countries, but for right now, the country we’ve been called to serve in is our own. We enjoy loving on our moms, babies, and families, and feel privileged to care for them.  

55 Comments (Click Here to Add Yours):

Anonymous said...

Wait, did she mess up and put that her 14 yr. old friend was having a baby? Did you mean 24 or was that not on accident? That would be extremely young to be having a child!

Elena said...

Thanks for sharing..love to hear that the girls are studying hard and enjoying what they are doing. It will be so nice to follow their paths through this webpage. Since I cant be in their kitchen chatting this will have to be the next best thing.

Anonymous said...

did she say 14 year old?! that's crazy.

agirlwiththought said...

Is the going to be more centeral America episodes

Anonymous said...

Nice blog post from Jana and Jill!! Lily and Ellie I have a question: Under the full episodes page, what is the difference between the episodes with the red or blue link? thanks to clarify!
have a nice weekend!
-Allison J

symphony said...

im so glad Jana wrote some! She is my favorite Duggar girl, but she has a quiet personality so she doesnt talk on the shows and stuff as much. God bless you both!love and prayers,
symphony

Anonymous said...

My mom was 14 when she conceived. 15 when i was born. It's not impossible.

Anonymous said...

this has nothing to do with the post but why is josh and anna's website down? does anyone know? Lily and Ellie?

Anonymous said...

What I want to hear from the Duggars is why both Michelle and Anna had miscarriages (and also the Bates) they do not blame on themselves. In Michelle's book, they blame her first miscarriage and dead child on using birth control. All three have had miscarriages and dead child while not using birth control. I really want to hear from them where they retract the use of birth control for the death of Michelle's child. To me, the Duggars made themselves God when they published that the death of their child was due to birth control and to me, they preached they are God.

Anonymous said...

I think Jill was indicating the friendship was 14 years along not the age of her friend.

Anonymous said...

Has Michelle accepted her safe baby-making days are over?

Anonymous said...

yeah, did she really mean 14 year old?

Anonymous said...

Umm 14 year old?

Anonymous said...

as she said they cannot go into a hospital and work. plus only in states that do not require them to be fully licensed to work.

Anonymous said...

Wow 14 years old is really really young was that a mistake if it wasnt that is a bit confusing because of the duggar beliefs

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Jana's real plans for her life... She wrote that this midwifery thing might not be what she'll be doing all her life. Earlier she was teaching some girls at that camp in Michigan. Earlier she had plans to study music... She had seemed to be so joyful in her teenage years, I wonder what happened to her, why she can't find herself. Or she is just waiting for a husband, so that she could be a housewife and have kids?

Laurie said...

Even if the girl was 14, it doesn't matter. Jill showed love and compassion to someone in need. God used that experience to direct Jill's path.

pga127 said...

How did Jill end up having/knowing a pregnant 14 year old???

Anonymous said...

My friends daughter had her first child at 14 sadly it's not that uncommon any more

Lily and Ellie said...

@Anonymous

Hi Allison,

The red links are the recaps, and the blue links are the episodes.

Have a good weekend!
~Lily and Ellie

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from the older girls! Excited for them, especially Jill. She'll do great. And Jana is so sweet.
As for all these comments to the mom at 14, mistakes happen, and we all should show understanding. We're not perfect.

Anonymous said...

Please keep us updated on the Midwifery training. That is such a beautiful hobby and I would like to know what books Jill and Jana read to study this proffesion.

Anonymous said...

I think it is great. Jana and Jill, you are doing great.

Anonymous said...

Good job girls!!

Anonymous said...

14 is young, but not impossible. It does happen in our sinful world, sadly.
When God created the world, it was perfect, and no sin, disease or illness, or mistakes were in it. Then when Satan lied, that was the first sin, the Adam and Eve believed the lie, ate of the fruit, and they brought sin and suffering and disease and these happenings into the world.

Jill and Jana! I loved the post!

Anonymous said...

I do understand that it's not impossible, just didn't know if they made a typo. :)

Carissa said...

I'm also wondering about the 14 year old...that's really sad. I read that a couple times over since at first I thought I didn't understand her correctly. Wow.

Fabulous posts by both girls! :)

Ginger Clark said...

Good grief, why is 14 so shocking to everyone?! All you need to get pregnant is a one cycle.
Believing that premarital sex is wrong doesn't preclude one from befriending those who commit that particular sin. We as a family believe that premarital sex is sin, but we took in a 16 yo girl when she was pg. Her child was a blessing and it was a great blessing to us to make sure her baby was well cared for and with her loving mom, instead of in daycare all day. :)

Eve | Inchworm Chronicles said...

I really enjoyed hearing from Jill and Jana in this post! It's been wonderful watching them walk their life path on the show, but reading their own words was such a treat.

I wish them well on their training as a midwife and as a doula, respectively. The mothers they give care to are fortunate to have such compassionate, educated and passionate birth professionals-in-training. The world is a better place because of this family. Thank you for shining your light. Jane and Jill, you inspire me!

--from a Mom of 5 kids (all born at home with midwifery care, we love midwives and doulas!)

Anonymous said...

Josh and Anna are likely updating their website as some things have changed little Marcus has arrived and Josh is starting a new job next week in D.C where they now reside.

maddie said...

@Anonymous

I think she meant that she has been friend's with her for 14 years. . . awkwardly worded :P

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous at 8:47AM. I am a huge Jana fan. I would love to know in all candor (without her being concerned with her parents' opinions) what she truly wants out of her life.

There was a shot at the pickle restaurant in Kyoto of Jana cleaning up rice that Josie had slung all over a table. I think that pretty much typifies her life. Of all the Duggar kids, I think she has borne the most burden. I pray the Lord provides that lovely young woman with all the wonderful things she dreams about.

The New Arbour said...

Yes Jill said her 14 year old friend . This happens to young girls all over the world and to think the Duggars would not associate with someone like that.....well that would not be the Duggars I have come to know and love 'My' Duggars would be there for their friend, praying, helping and loving their friend through the experience. God bless both Jill and Jana as they pray and listen for God's word to help lead them through this crazy thing called life. May they enjoy their time learning this new profession, may it help them to do the Lord's work through missionary and service. May they experience fun and joy as they do so.

tami carlaw said...

No I read and re read it a few times and its a 14 r old girl which is why she needed someone to go with her to childbirth classes. She probably had no partner or parental support and Jill being a good Christian helped this girl out. Through this act of kindness she displayed to this girl God showed her the path for her future.

Anonymous said...

In regards to Jill. She obviously is a wonderful, non judgemental friend and support to her 14 year old friend who was having a baby. Some so Called friends might chose to walk a way from others in this situation - thinking themselves better than others, but Jill did not do that. And as for her 14 year old friend - she may or may not be a christian - yes thats right just because you have a walk of faith it does not mean that you can not fall short -as no body is that perfect - we are all human
and it can happen to the person you think most unlikely. Having said that none of us know the situation that this 14 year old friend was in that lead her to be giving birth, unmarried and at 14 years of age. It is not for anyone to judge. I know that could be have been me or it could have been you given there are no guarantees in life not even if you are a person of faith or have good morals or ethics. It would have taken alot of courage for her to choose to give up her child - it is not an easy choice to make, rather heart wrenching i would imagine. She is very blessed to have a friend like Jill and i gather that she like wise is also a blessing to Jill.
In regards to jana -she is still finding her feet - no two people grow in the same way - even siblings. It is a blessing that her parents are able to give her the space and time, that is the Grace to find her feet whilst she is still at home. Most of us dont get that opportunity in life. I suspect that maybe there is another door for her that hasnt yet opened or been fully made known to her yet ? It will happen for her !
As for the Bates ,Duggars families 1 & 2 on miscarriages: Every woman handles miscarriage different. Some choose not to have any more chldren because of what has happened. Some choose to do the exact opposite and(try) overcome that fear of failing again, despite what may or may not come and others they might give it another shot or two but find it all to much or call it quits because this is what they had planned or expected to be for their life. The hardest thing is not to blame our selves when something goes wrong, we are often our own worst enemies. Remember bloggers every one is different, yet we are all unique and special to God and he has plan for all of us, yes for each one of our lives - even if we dont know it, realise or believe it yet.
I find it quite amazing that with michelle 21 potential children that there were only 2 miscarriages
As normally most women, such was with Anna duggar between her 1st and 2nd child it is quite normal for a woman to miscarry every few pregnancies & extra specially when first trying for children or at end of an older womans pregnancies.
this is not to say that this will ever happen again for Anna or that this happens to every woman in life. Certainly i wouldnt wish that on anyone,that would be unthinkable. Hopefully they are just enjoying each blessing as it comes along,given to them in Gods perfect timing. michelle has obviously has been given a strong constitution that has allowed her to carry so many pregnancies with out much aid.

Amelia said...

I enjoy reading what the girls are doing, I think it's so wonderful that they know who they are in Christ and the contentment in Him just beams through their lives. They seem to truly be Jesus with skin on to others and I think that's great.

We have four daughters and life is truly an adventure in Jesus. : ) Our family misses seeing the Duggars since we don't have tlc these days and now have limited bandwidth in the country.

I wish we had the Duggar family for neighbors here in the Lonestar state, what sweet friends I think they would be!

Enjoyed the post and the updates you post as always, such a sweet, sweet blog, the Duggar family always lends encouragement to our entire family.

Blessings! ~Amelia

Anonymous said...

@The New Arbour^^^^^ my sentiments EXACTLY!!! They are Christians and this is what we do....he'll those in need, regardless of their situation or predicament.

Anonymous said...

They are so lively, energetic girls, but I felt a bit sad watching an episode where 19 year old Ginger and 20 year old Jessa were helping at a coffee shop to make and serve coffee...They all seem to be so capable, however, so far only Jill started doing something about her career. Also, they were saying that Jill spent a lot of time with Josie at the hospital (2009-2010) and it made her think about nursing career; hoever only in 2012 (2 years later) she started classes at some online school. Does it mean that the family does not have money to pay for their education? They seem to have many properties, lots of transportation, so money should not be such a huge problem. Plus, there is some financial aid at colleges... I just find it difficult to understand why for example 23 year old Jana is living at home and occasionally goes for some midwifery sessions. Or why Ginger and Jessa would not start their own coffee shop as a business. They are capabale for more than just living at home and babysitting younger siblings!

pga127 said...

Jinger and Jessa are not allowed by their parents to pursue their interest. JimBob and Michelle want their older girls underfoot to care for the younger kids. You never see John David or Joseph teaching or caring for their younger siblings. Girls jurisdiction!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure why i am doing this but my favourite names are

Alexsis
Armarni
Addalle
Addison

Arlie
Archer
Archie
Auston

Yes i did gets the name Addallee from the bates i believe their 5th youngest daughter is called addallee.also now i call one of my friends maddie, addalle (long story)

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what online school Jill is using?

Anonymous said...

answer to 1:27 PM:
I know Jill personally, and she has studied midwifery for 4 to 5 years, and is capable of persuing her coureer even further if she wishes, but she doesn't at the moment.
Jinger and Jessa chose to help at the coffee shop for the day to help with money to give to a missionary. They can get a job, but they choose not too.
and Jana is very capable of getting a job, but she enjoys working with children and prefers to stay home.
I know many girls who stay at home, and no one chides them. Whats different about these girls except that they are on TV? they are still normal girls with normal lives and a normal future

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous at 11:50 Am.
I want to know the school too!

Anonymous said...

There are limits to how much can be crammed into a show. What makes you think that the girls are not doing what they want.

Cammie said...

Jill is using Medical Training Institute of America Midwifery, It is an online Christian based program. If you are thinking of becoming a midwife before spending money online, make sure you check your local state rules. Arkansas has very easy requirements and allows direct entry midwives so online is possible for Jill. Many states will not allow online study or it must be combined with study at an actual college, some states even require nursing degrees. I enjoy the Duggars program but & I'm glad Jill is getting to do what she loves but tv viewers need to know you are watching Jill who lives in Arkansas & her goals are to be an overseas midwife. This is not typical of how training or schooling would work if you wanted to become a midwife in another state. My state requires a nursing degree at an actual college program not home study so it is very different then Jill taking self study online & getting hours of birth experience with a family friend.

Anonymous said...

And also the Duggar girls would get all the business they need just from local Arkansas. Somebody that tried to do this strictly online without any connections would fail greatly at this avenue.

Anonymous said...

If I was to self-study midwifery free online, what is the recommended curriculum for that?

Anonymous said...

So happy for the family as you welcomed your new addition Marcus. I would like to see more of the Duggar Family. What is Jessa up to? I know Jill and Jana are helping babies to be born. You all take care,, God Bless all of you. Alicia

Cammie said...

I would love to know what Jinger & Jessa are doing or studying. I would also like to know what Joseph is doing. We saw him go to ALERT but is he using that training as his career or studying something else or starting a business. It seems like the shows and books talk about the importance of training up a child, homeschool, and things like music lessons. I would love to know how it ends up in adulthood. We know about Josh and Jill have choosen their paths and JD seems to be involved in a little bit of everything. I would love for the show, or this blog to tell us what Joseph, Jinger and Jessa have choosen to do or study. I know they stuff like photography but does that mean Jinger is photographing weddings and is starting a business? or Jessa helps with homeschooling does that mean she is studying or wants to be a teacher?

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jana and Jill

Becca said...

I totally agree! I find that I do not like the sin of the 14-year-old, but I am very happy that she chose to carry the baby and deliver the baby. There are so many girls who choose to abort a baby at that age. I also find it really loving that Jill stepped in to help her, even if she didn't agree with the situation.

Anonymous said...

It is neat that Jill helped her friend, we all make mistakes in life, as did her friend. Jill was compassionate and kind to her...that is wonderful. Please please let me know if I can get in touch with jill, I want to become a midwife, and I need some pointers! PLease, let me know soon thinks so much

Anonymous said...

If you are spedning 3.5 years on school, it seem like it would make more sense to get your RN. You can get an RN in less time than that and can take many of the classes online, just like what you are doing. You could then deliver babies, be skilled and qualified for a wide variety of nursing jobs, and your credentials would be transferable to every state. With the route you are taking, you are limited to delivering babies outside of a hospital only in Arkansas.

Jody Reilly said...

Jill,
I am so happy that you have found a path that you have prayed to be God's will. I did write to you about how I thought you should pursue nursing after Josie was born. Midwifery is nursing, so you are going in that direction. You said midwives can deliver at home or in hospital just as they do in my state of MA. I believe that God has blessed you with a talent that would be a shame to waste.
I pray that God will guide your efforts as a faithful midwife. Jody Reilly BSN, RN

Anonymous said...

Jana has stated that her goal is to do missionary work and that is her passion and career choice. While watching her with your siblings, she is very organized and patient, and will make a great teacher!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! We answer as many of your questions as we can, but due to the number of comments we receive daily, we are unable to answer every one. Our aim is to post all points of view, but we do not post anything that is profane, insulting, derogatory, or in poor taste.