Search this Blog

Search Results

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fall into Fall with the Duggars!

The Duggars love autumn. How do they celebrate the season? Do they participate in an annual harvest festival? Halloween? Let's see what the matriarch of the family has to say...

"While we do go to pumpkin patches and corn mazes, we don't do the Halloween thing," writes Michelle Duggar in this week's Parentables article. She and Jim Bob decided years ago to skip conventional October 31st festivities, but there's still plenty of fun to be had around the Duggar home!

"We enjoy the harvest celebration," continues Michelle. The family belongs to a church fellowship that organizes activities and games, complete with candy and prizes.

To read more about the fall traditions of America's largest family, check out Michelle's latest Parentables post.

Do you enjoy cooking and baking when the temperatures drop? You'll find some of the Duggars' favorite recipes (like chicken & noodles, oatmeal pancakes, tater tot casserole, and many more) on our Recipes page!

How do you celebrate autumn? Do you participate in traditional fall festivals? Do you trick-or-treat?

12 Comments (Click Here to Add Yours):

Anonymous said...

i do celebrate fall, no i dont participate in traditional fall festivals like that, when i was little my mom would all ways take me trick-or-treating that my favorite thing to do for halloween but not iam getting older i dont trick-or-treating anymore couple of time my half cousin has a little girl i went them, this year my babysitter is not passing out candy because some little kids dont come to the door the parents have to i guess, and the big kids like 14 years old to 16 they trick-or-treat when this halloweeen thing for the liitle ones. i going make halloween cookies with my mom today.

Bayley said...

I did go to corn mazes when I was younger and we always got a pumpkin to carve. Do you know if the Duggars carve a pumpkin?
I did trick or treating when I was younger, but I don't anymore. I always like warm Apple Cider and Apple Crisp on a cold Fall day. I also like pumpkin pie. Right now everything is pumpkin pie flavored. They have pumpkin spice bagels, pumpkin spice waffles, and pumpkin pie pop tarts. I had all of them and they are delicious. It is snowing today where I live. I can't believe it! It is too early for snow. I'm okay if it snows closer to Thanksgiving, but not this early.

Lily and Ellie said...

Hi Bayley!

We haven't heard the Duggars mention pumpkin carving, but Michelle and the kids have made pumpkin pie from scratch. They said that it wasn't as delicious as the pumpkin pie that they make from the cans.

Thanks for reading!
Lily and Ellie

Rosemary said...

I love the fall season too and usually decorate about mid-October. I don't do the whole halloween thing either. I'm aware of the differing of opinions on the celebrating but either way, for me and my family we believe it gives too much publicity to things that God said to leave alone.
Love this blog!

Anonymous said...

I don't do halloween and I'm glad I don't.

Kathy said...

We do trick or treat and celebrate Halloween in the mainstream sense. I think it's a matter of personal conviction...I've known Christians who practiced Wicca, pagan beliefs, etc before they converted and because of that could not participate in the more mainstream celebrations...it seared their conscience to do so. As a Christian, I don't believe it's a sin to trick-or-treat per Se, but if it does make you uncomfortable (b/c of the history of Halloween or your personal background), then you shouldn't do it. See Romans 14.

Ginger said...

Last year was our first year as a family to offer candy and gospel tracts to Trick or Treaters. (We used to do that before we had kids.) We had 8 kids show up. Eh, forget it.
This year, we won't bother, but every Oct 31st, we have Family Fun Night. We make a fort in the den, make homemade pizza & eat it in the fort, have ice cream sundaes, and play games together. It's a lot of fun!

ycfan said...

We celebrate fall/harvest as well, but not traditional Halloween. We do lots of activities throughout harvest (apple festival, pumpkin patch, etc.) We talk about how harvest gives us the opportunity to teach kids where it all comes from (not Walmart!, but how do the fruits & veggies GET to Walmart?), farms & their farmers :)

We have attended "Harvest Parties" at churches (so the kids can feel they're participating in "something"), but yet with the intention of honoring God - unlike traditional Halloween, that of which the underlying meaning actually really dishonors God...I agree, it is a matter of personal conviction: always ask yourself "what am I celebrating, and why?" (so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God...1 Cor.)

Ramona said...

no for trick or treating but as I am 25% Mexican I do celebrate Day of the Dead.(Nov.1st)I do enjoy fall. Living outside NYC(in Weschester County)I love apple picking and my aunt makes amzing apple butter.

Anonymous said...

Our family does celebrate fall. All the children go outside and rake big leaf piles and have other outdoor activities. We do not trick-or-treat since it is not part of our tradition. We do celebrate All Saints Day which is the day after All Hallows Eve. We all have lots of fun and the little ones all have fun dressing up as different saints.

Lauren H. said...

I love the fall holidays, I do not do trick-or-treating, but, my church have a harvest festival every year that we go to. I love all the things that fall brings, warm smells, falling leaves, it makes you want to stay inside, my mom burns these AMAZING candels like Apple Cider which makes the fall season even better! :)

Anonymous said...

I have been a Christian for 18 years. Since I was 21. I love the Lord and want to share my faith with others. I know there are a lot of Christian's who don't participate in Halloween. I respect that. However, it says in the bible Who lights a lamp and hides it? Jesus says let the little children come to Me. A lot of Christian's go out in public and witness to others. But here is a day Halloween where people come to your door. What a missed opportunity to not open the door and share Christ. I will let my lamp stay on during Halloween and I will open my door to the little children so they can come to Christ. I hand out bible tracts on Halloween along with candy. This holiday doesn't have to be hijacked by the enemy. We can counter evil with good. The bible also says not to be afraid for greater is He who is in me then he who is in the world. God Bless!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! Our aim is to post all points of view, but we will not post anything that is profane, derogatory, or in poor taste.